Stowmarket & District Chamber of Commerce
Stowmarket & District Chamber of Commerce is a well-established, friendly and pro-active business organisation, whose principal aims are to create and exploit business opportunities in the Gipping valley area, to encourage wealth creation and employment and to contribute to the enhancement of the area as a pleasant place in which to live and do business.
The Chamber enjoys close and productive working relationships with Town and District Councils. This ensures that we are consulted on, and obtain timely information about, future plans and issues which may affect the economy of the area.
We arrange a programme of Breakfast Networking meetings, which has proved very successful in generating leads for new business. Additionally we undertake a range of projects, including activities related to preparing young people to enter the workforce.
Stowmarket Chamber is affiliated to the Suffolk Chamber of Commerce, the largest independent private business forum in the county.
Stowmarket - a good place to do business
Currently membership of the Stowmarket and District Chamber is about 50; mainly small enterprises providing professional services ranging from overseas investment, to domestic banking, physiotherapy, advertising website design, IT support, HR services and secretarial support. We are seeking to increase representation from the retail sector.
A monthly event open to members and guests where one can learn about other local businesses and exchange information that often leads to opportunities for new business and collaborative ventures.
Seminars on best business practices and the implications of changes to legislation and statutory controls are held regularly with specialist speakers. These seminars are a useful extension of management skills and staff training.
Stowmarket Town Centre Partnership
The Chamber is an active participant in this initiative, which brings together representatives of the public and private sector in the town to consider and take action on current priorities for improvements to the town and to exert influence on planning of future facilities, including transport and infrastructure.
A diverse range of local initiatives is undertaken to promote visibility and foster activity among local business ventures, including:
- Sponsoring a hanging basket for the East Anglia in Bloom competition
- Donating trophies for Stowmarket Rugby Club 15/15 Competition and also for the Best Christmas Window
- Tour of facilities at container Port of Felixstowe, including discussions with port officers and shippers
- Sponsorship of a picnic table at the Recreation Ground
Suffolk Chamber of Commerce
Affiliation of Stowmarket and District Chamber with Suffolk Chamber of Commerce gives members ready access to a wide range of networking events and key business services, facilitating business development and opening the door to better links within the wider business community, including:
- Market analyses, intelligence on new and overseas markets and export documentation services; all at preferential rates.
- Networking - over 80 Chamber events a year around the County
- Suffolk Business Network Online - Register on www.suffolkb2b.co.uk to receive alerts by email or text of invitations to tender from a wide range of public and private sector purchasers.
- Over 60 workshops on important business topics each year, including changes in taxation and legislation.
- Discounted commercial services including Healthcare, Utilities and a FREE 24/7 Legal Advice Line.
- The Information Centre offers businesses a gateway to a wealth of data to help their business flourish e.g. grant searches, product sourcing, credit searches etc.
- Assistance for companies with free training information and skills guidance and helping businesses with the launch of local, national and trans-national projects.
- Liaison with Chambers of Commerce in Bury St Edmunds, Felixstowe, Hadleigh, Haverhill, Ipswich, Lowestoft, Sudbury and Newmarket leading to participation in projects of mutual interest.